Head of Subject: Mr J Rourke (email@example.com)
The main aims of our Department are:
- To encourage our young people to engage in a healthy, active lifestyle and equip them with the skills and knowledge to do this.
- To provide a rich and varied sporting curriculum made up of both team and individual activities.
To enrich our student’s school life with extracurricular opportunities to take part in recreational activity or to compete against other schools.
Key Stage 3
• Students will be taught a range of activities across the key stage. These activities will be taken from the National Curriculum but will allow students to partake in both individual and team sports, as well as being given an insight into fitness training and healthy living.
- Sports/Activities covered will vary year by year but could include the following:
Rugby, football, table tennis, basketball, handball, gymnastics, fitness training, hockey, volleyball, softball, athletics and cricket.
Key Stage 4 - Core Physical Education
- All boys have one hour of PE per week in which they are taught in mixed ability groups.
- They will be taught a range of team and individual activities but are taught 'through the game' to build on the skills learnt in KS3 and further develop tactical knowledge and performance.
- Students who do not study a second language will have a further hour per week. During this lesson they will be given the opportunity to choose an activity to take part in. These sessions are focused on maximising time in game situations.
Key Stage 4 – GCSE Specification AQA Physical Education
- Applied anatomy and physiology
- Movement analysis
- Physical training
- Use of data
- Sports psychology
- Socio-cultural influences
- Health, fitness and well-being
- Use of data
AQA (Teaching from September 2016)
- 2 theory based, written examinations – worth 60%
- A written analysis of a practical performance – worth 10%
- Practical assessment in 3 sporting activities – worth 30%
GCSE PE Revision Resources
|Benefits of a healthy active lifestyle|
Drugs in Sport
Health Related Exercise and Skill Related Fitness