To contact the school Governors please email firstname.lastname@example.org and please put "FAO Chair of Governors" in the subject line. Alternatively Fiona Millar can be contacted directly: email@example.com
William Ellis School is a foundation school and a voluntary aided school within the local education authority of the London Borough of Camden.
This means that the charitable Birkbeck and William Ellis School Trust owns a long lease on the land and appoints a majority of the governors – the 'foundation governors'. The Governing Body establishes and approves the School Development Plan, the annual budget and internal polices regarding pastoral matters. It also ensures that our policies meet central and local authority requirements.
The Governing Body monitors the implementation of our policies through the committee structure set out below and conducts appeals, senior staff appointments and serious disciplinary decisions.
The law regarding school governance recommends that the maximum size of a governing body is 20 people. Our governors have approved this proposal and will manage the School on the following basis:
- 9 foundation governors appointed by the Trust, four of whom shall at the time of their appointment be eligible for election or appointment as parent governors.
- 4 staff governors, including the Headteacher
- 1 governor (former student) appointed by Birbeck College
- 3 parent governors (Parents will be notified when a vacancy exists, and the School will organise an election. The appointment is for a four-year term.)
- 2 governors nominated by the local authority
- Sub-committees deal with admissions, appointments. appeals, staff pay and curriculum complaints
- 1 associate governor
Chair of Governors: Ms Fiona Millar (P)
Vice Chairs: Professor Conor Gearty (P) Mr Alan Chesters (P)
Parent Governors: Mr Neil Garner (P), Ms Anna Sullivan (P) Ms Emma Rea (P)
Foundation Governors: Mr Richard Ault (P), Mr Richard Bull (P), Mr Omar Harmon (P), Mr Vernon King, Ms Fiona Millar (P), Neil Aberdeen (P) Professor Conor Gearty (P) Mr Josh Feldberg (OE) and Ms Julia Eccleshare (P)
Associate Governor: Dr Fiona Macintosh
Birbeck Governor: Dr Virginia Eatough
LA Governors: Ms Georgia Gould and Mr Alan Chesters
Staff Governors: Mr Sam White, Headteacher, Mr Stephen Jackman, Mr Horace Parry (P) and Mr Jahid Ahmed
(P) parent of former or current student; (OE) old boy of the School
The Governing Body has three permanent committees:
- Resources & Personnel: Chair - Mr Alan Chesters, Vice Chair - Mr Richard Ault
- School Improvement: Chair - Professor Conor Gearty, Vice Chair - Ms Fiona Millar
Individual governors hold specific responsibilities
|SEN and child protection||Fiona Millar|
|The Mill||Omar Harmon|
|La Swap||Fiona Millar (Chair of the La Swap Governors Forum)|