Closing Date: Noon Wednesday 20th November 2019
We seek an enthusiastic Head of PE, to lead the teaching of the Physical Education at all key stages. We are looking for someone with enthusiasm, vision, resilience, excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to the aims and values of William Ellis School. You would join a well-established team of specialist PE teachers, and a strong network of subject specialists across Camden LA. The school has excellent facilities given its context and location: a large and well-equipped sports hall, outdoor hard space and direct access to Hampstead Heath, with its grass pitches and athletics track.
Supporting first class curriculum design and pedagogy for core PE at Key Stages 3 and 4, a commitment to extra-curricular sports and outdoor education including for all 11-18 students, and the re-establishment of a strong Key Stage 4 qualification offer would be key parts of this role. You will be expected to devise innovative solutions to engage and increase participation of all students including specific target groups to ensure all programmes are ambitious and inclusive in achieving the aims of the school. The leaders and governors of the school recognise the potential for PE to contribute to the personal development of all students, regardless of their background or starting points.
The school has identified current areas of strength in PE, sports and activities. The successful candidate would be able to develop at least one of these to an exceptionally high standard:
- Basketball, including in competitions against other schools supported by external coaching and links to clubs. The school has a strong record in local competitions in the past and would like to extent this further, including at regional or national level.
- Outdoor Education provision, which is currently supported by residential camps for all Year 7, 8 and 9 students as part of the core curriculum. This is a progression route into the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, on which over 50% of our Year 10 students are enrolled. Our ambition is for all students in the school to complete the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award in coming years.
In addition, the successful candidate will be:
- an outstanding teacher with excellent subject knowledge and a track record of securing excellent student progress from all starting points, for core PE and sports and activities curricula that lead to a qualification;
- confidently able to teach PE GCSE level if required. The ability to build curriculum cohesion between PE and other curriculum subjects would be an advantage.
- an inspirational and collaborative leader with the skills and determination to make a significant difference to the lives of young people, and to work effectively with and through others;
- a caring and principled professional committed to social equity.
If you are seeking a challenging and highly rewarding position, enriching the lives of students and the local community, we look forward to hearing from you.
Application packs can be downloaded from the school website: www.williamellis.camden.sch.uk
Closing date – Noon Wednesday 20th November 2019 Interview date – W/b 25th November 2019
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early. We would therefore recommend that you submit your application as early as possible.
William Ellis School is committed to Equal Opportunities and to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and therefore expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment, all appointments are subject to DBS checks and excellent references.