William Ellis School
Welcome to William Ellis School - a school with a long and
distinguished history of serving the local community.
William Ellis School is a distinctive, dynamic and diverse school serving the educational needs of young people from our local community. We are proud of our history and although much has changed since the school was opened by WIlliam Ellis in Gospel Oak in 1862 we keep true to our founder's principles:
Upcoming EventsFull Calendar
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE GCSE CLASS OF 2023
122 students sat GCSEs at William Ellis School this summer and we are delighted with their results:
- 70% of boys achieved 5 or more GCSEs at grades 4 to 9, including English and Maths
- 74% achieved grades 4 to 9 in both English and Maths and 60% achieved at least grades 5 in both
- Half of boys achieved at least one GCSE at the top grades 7 to 9
- 29% of all results were grades 7 to 9
- In English 83% of boys achieved at least grade 4, 72% achieved at least grade 5 and 30% achieved at least a grade 7
- In Maths 79% of boys achieved at least grade 4, 65% achieved at least grade 5 and 34% achieved at least a grade 7
- In Languages, in which 90% of all students sat a GCSE, 61% achieved a grade 4 or above.
- 72% of the cohort achieved 2 or more Science GCSEs at grade 4 and above
- 53% of students achieved the English Baccalaureate (English, Maths, Geography or History, two Sciences and a Foreign Language at grades 4 to 9). 29% achieved a grade 5 or above in this suite of subjects.
Key Stage 5 results to celebrate 2023
We are incredibly proud of the A Level results achieved this year by our Key Stage 5 students, who have shown exceptional resilience and dedication over the course of their studies. They absolutely rose to the challenge of their exams – marked to those of the same standard as those of 2019, but in the context of pandemic disrupted A Level and GCSE study and without the opportunity to sit examinations two years ago.Read More
Year 10 students' Artwork Exhibited at Lauderdale House
Year 10 Art and Graphics students will have their work displayed at Lauderdale House as part of this year's Highgate Festival.Read More
New Breakfast Club - in partnership with Magic Breakfast
William Ellis is proud to be in new partnership with Magic Breakfast, providing healthy breakfasts to our pupils so that they are settled and ready to learn.Read More
Remembering HM Queen Elizabeth II – our Royal connections
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II visited William Ellis School in 1979, and our Royal connections date back even further, to the time of our Founder.Read More
William Ellis’ centre for outdoor learning, The Mill, is in a designated area of outstanding natural beauty. It is situated in the picturesque village of Forest Green which lies nestled within the Surrey Hills just outside Dorking.
Forming a strong part of our rich tradition, visits to The Mill have formed the backbone of our personal development programme for students for over 30 years.