Joining William Ellis School
PROSPECTIVE PARENTS' OPEN EVENING SEPTEMBER 2020
William Ellis School is looking forward to welcoming you to our Prospective Parents' Open Evening on Thursday 24th September from 4:30pm – 8:00pm. In order to ensure the safety of staff, students and visitors, all parents/carers are required to sign up for open evening using the link below. Sessions will run for 1 hour. You will be emailed by the school with confirmation of your allocated slot, which will be between 4:30pm and 6:50pm, once you have registered.
- All visitors will be required to register in advance. Please do not attend if you have not received a confirmation email from the school.
- Slots will be allocated on a first come first served basis, with priority given to Year 6 students.
- We advise you to sign up as soon as possible, as numbers are limited.
- Due to a cap on numbers we are asking that only one parent/carer and one child attend per family.
- Visitors are asked to wear a mask during the event in order to ensure the safety of everyone attending the evening.
We are delighted that you are considering our school for your son’s secondary education. We admit 130 boys into Year 7. We are committed to providing a happy, safe and stimulating environment in which your son will achieve his full potential. We welcome all parents who share this ambition, as a strong partnership between home and school is essential if each student is to do his best.
You and your son are encouraged to read our prospectus and to visit the school, either on our Open Evening in September or on an Open Morning during the school day in October. Times and dates will be posted on the school website. These events provide an excellent opportunity to find out more about our school. Parents and prospective students can meet and talk with staff and current students. Our students proudly act as guides to show visitors round the school. Talks are given by the Headteacher on each of these occasions.
For residents of Camden the application process for admissions into Year 7 for the start of the school year is co-ordinated by the London Borough of Camden, who acts on behalf of the Governing Body to offer places at the school. Students in other London boroughs should apply through the borough in which they live. For further information and full details on how to apply please visit the LA website: www.camden.gov.uk/admissions or telephone the Camden Admission team on 020 7974 1625/email firstname.lastname@example.org
Up to 10% of places are offered to boys with an aptitude for music as determined by a music aptitude test. If you are interested in a music place for your son you are asked to come to the Open Evening or an Open Morning to discuss further with school staff. The school has a separate application form for music places that must be returned to the school. All music place applicants must still complete a secondary transfer application form through their local authority. For consideration of a music place in September 2021 your son will need to be available to attend for a Music Aptitude Test on 15th October 2020 - date and time to be confirmed.
IN YEAR APPLICATIONS
To apply for a place after the start of the school year, or for any other year group, please contact the school directly by email: email@example.com or telephone 020 7267 9346. Alternatively complete the school’s In Year Application form below and email back to the school. Depending on whether places are available, you will be contacted to arrange a meeting with the Head of Year or informed where your son is placed on the waiting list.
Click link below for in year application form:
William Ellis School is part of the LaSWAP sixth form consortium made up of four schools: La Sainte Union, William Ellis, Acland Burghley and Parliament Hill schools. Applications to sixth form are made via the LaSWAP office. Their contact details can be found on their website: www.laswap.camden.sch.uk
Open Events for September 2021 Intake
Thursday 24 September 2020. Please see information above.
We are hoping to host Open Mornings this term. Arrangements to be confirmed.
Sixth Form evening
Thursday 26 November, 5.30 to 8pm at Acland Burghley School (pre-registration is required – see
the school website or www.laswap.camden.sch.uk)
Families interested in a music place at the school should come along to one of the above events when full details regarding the Music Aptitude Test will be shared with you. In order to be considered for a music place all students will need to sit the school's Music Aptitude Test on a date to be confirmed in October.The deadline for music place applications will be 4.30pm on Friday 9th October 2020 direct to the school. All applicants must also complete their LA Secondary Transfer form and rank William Ellis School.
Admissions criteria for September 2021
The school will admit up to 130 boys into Year 7 and will also fill casual vacancies in any year up to Year 11. In the event of over-subscription to the school, the following criteria will be applied in order:
- Looked after children. This can include a child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, child arrangement or special guardianship order.
- Applicants with a brother in the school at the time when the applicant is to join. This can include siblings* in the sixth form as long as they are on roll at the same school and will still be on roll when the sibling joins.
- Applicants who can demonstrate that admission to William Ellis School is necessary on the grounds of professionally supported medical or social need. Parents/carers must supply details of any such special factors at the time of the original application, together with supporting documentation. Such applications will not be considered without professional support – such as a letter or report from a doctor, consultant or social worker and which must be no more than six months old. All information submitted will be regarded a confidential. The supporting documentation will need to support the link between the need and the school.
- Applicants who can demonstrate musical aptitude as measured by the school’s assessment criteria. Up to 10% of places will be offered on this basis. In the event that fewer than ten per cent achieve the minimum score on the aptitude test, the remaining places will be allocated according to criterion 6 (below). Details of examination grades and performing experience will NOT be taken into account. Supplementary forms for music applicants are available from the school.
- Applicants who have a parent employed at the school for two years or more at the time of application and/or children of a qualified teacher training at William Ellis School who has been recruited to fill a vacancy for which there is a demonstrable skills shortage.
- Applicants who live closest to the school, measured in a straight line to the centre of the school.
- Criterion 6 will be used as a ‘tie-breaker’ should any of the first five criteria be oversubscribed.
- Any offer of a place on the grounds of proximity is conditional on the child being resident at the address provided at the closing date for application. A business address, a child-minder’s address, or any address other than the child’s home will not be accepted. Proof of address may be sought and may be subject of further investigation. The school reserves the right to withdraw an offer if the address given turns out not to be the applicant’s permanent home.
- We use the Local Authority's standard method of measuring home to school distance in a straight line using the School Admissions computerised geographical information system. The starting point of the measurement is a grid reference point, which is supplied by Ordnance Survey, within the property. The end point is the centre of the school. Residents of every floor level in a particular block of flats are given an identical starting point, regardless of the distance to floor level. (For applicants from the same block of flats or who live the same distance from the school random selection by the drawing of lots is used as a tie-breaker).
- Applicants with a signed Education Health Care Plan which names William Ellis School will be placed at the school via the process as set out in Section 39 of the Children and Families Act 2014.
- If there is only one place available at the school and the next child who qualifies for a place is one of a twin or multiple birth siblings, governors will go over the school’s published admission number and all will be offered a place in order to support the family.
- The school will keep a waiting list at all times.
- * Sibling: Sibling refers to brother or sister, half brother or sister, adopted brother or sister, stepbrother or stepsister.
IN YEAR ADMISSIONS
In year applications are made directly to the school. If a place is available and there is no waiting list, the governors will offer a place to the family. If more applications are received than places available, applications will be ranked by the governing body in accordance with the oversubscription criteria set out above (with the exception of criterion 4). If a place cannot be offered, then you may ask us for the reasons and you will be informed of your right to appeal. You will be offered the opportunity of being placed on a waiting list. This waiting list will be maintained by the governing body in order of the oversubscription criteria and not in the order in which the applications are received. Termly reviews and updates to our waiting lists will be made by the school. When a place becomes available, the governing body will decide who is at the top of the list and they will inform the parents that the school is making an offer. In accordance with statutory requirements, Camden’s Admissions Team will be notified of all applications and offers made to/for the school.
ADMISSION OF CHILDREN OUTSIDE NORMAL AGE RANGE
In some situations it may be appropriate for a student to be placed with a cohort outside their normal age range. Decisions about this will consider the parents’ views and the individual circumstances and will be made at the discretion of the governing body.
APPLICATIONS FROM OVERSEAS
The school accepts applications from overseas. For the purposes of oversubscription criterion 6 we will accept a future address should the applicant have evidence of one.