Skip to content ↓


William Ellis School is a non denominational Voluntary Aided (VA) school. Voluntary Aided schools have more autonomy than other state maintained schools and The Birkbeck and William Ellis Schools Trust (registered charity number 1102334) appoints a majority of the school governors (Foundation Governors). The governing body is in turn responsible for the appointment and employment of the head teacher, staff and also the school’s admissions arrangements, subject to the national Schools Admissions Code.  Governors meet regularly, as do trustees, to oversee the smooth running of the school.

The running costs of voluntary aided schools, like those of other state-maintained school, are fully paid by central government via the local authority.  VA schools differ from other maintained schools in that only 90% of their capital costs – primarily maintenance of the building - are met by the state, with the school's trust contributing the remaining 10%.

The Birkbeck and William Ellis Schools Trust also raises income from voluntary contributions and its investment portfolio for the maintenance, development and general welfare of William Ellis School in order to enhance the educational environment and experience of our pupils.

Our founder, William Ellis, valued the development of thinking, reason and preparing young people to be happy adults and responsible citizens. This holds true to this day. We take great pride in preparing young men to be responsible citizens and contributors to their community, to be able to look after themselves and others. 

Current Trustees of the Birkbeck and William Ellis Schools Trust are:

Omar Harmon
Fiona Millar (Chair)                                                                                                                                                                        Jamal Mohamed
Peter Rowbrey-Evans                                                                                                                                                                   
Selina Skipwith (Chair of Governors)                                                                                                                                    Alex Smith                                                                                                                                                                                Tim Sowula

If you would like to Donate or Leave a Legacy to carry on the work of our founder, the 19th century educational visionary and philanthropist, William Ellis please contact the Trust

c/o Fiona Fraser, Director of Operations
William Ellis School
Highgate Road, London, NW5 1RN

Alternatively donations can be made to William Ellis School Parents Association (registered charity number 1158812). 

 For more information on WESPA, please visit this page on the school site.